Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Politics and Religion Part 1

Politics and Religion are a sticky thing.

I personally find myself identifying mostly with Libertarianism. I like the sounds of fiscal conservatism while leaving morals up to the individual rather than forcing it upon people. It actually seems very Christ-like.

In my experience/research, it appears that most emergents are supporting Obama. This does not surprise me. Emergents tend towards caring for individuals over issues like large military spending. The concept of universal health care is appealing to somebody who takes Christ's teachings of love for others and caring for the poor as being the most important thing he taught.

Maybe I am slowly becoming an Obama supporter, but I don't think the change will happen fast enough for me to vote for him.

So here, I concede that it makes sense for an individual to vote based on their religious beleifs, but what about candidates in office who are required to represent an entire group of people, of which all are clearly not religious. What happens when a Christian like Senior W. gets into office and starts making legislation that is based on their religious views, what do we do?

more later...

No comments: